Will they or won’t they? Restaurants hedge bets on an extended lockdown
Michigan’s bars and restaurants have had a rough time. Ever since the state’s health department temporarily halted indoor dining, thousands of people have been tossed out of work.
Restrictions are currently set to expire on Wednesday, but health officials could decide to extend them if data shows COVID-19 is continuing to ravage the state.
So far, health officials have been mum on whether they are likely to extend the COVID-19 restrictions, which also limit gathering sizes and cut off in-person classes for high school and college students. That has led to a lot of uncertainty in the restaurant industry.
“We acknowledge that … sacrifice is required of all of us as we collectively seek to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus,” reads a letter sent from five leisure and hospitality business organizations to health officials on Friday. “We do not agree, however, that the sacrifice rests only upon our industries.”
For her part, Governor Gretchen Whitmer has said data will drive the decision of whether to continue the shutdown or not.
“We are looking at the data every single day and trying to make decisions with the best information that we have,” she said.
You can read the full story on Bridge Michigan.
The average story costs NowKalamazoo $400 to produce. Donate to fund stories like this.