Cold weather won’t stop Kalamazoo’s vaccination efforts

County officials are moving forward with vaccine clinics despite the sub-zero temperatures.

Unusually cold weather has caused big problems for vaccination efforts in southern states. Some health departments have had to call off mass inoculation events while power outages have prompted others to desperately distribute vaccines before they go bad.

In Kalamazoo County, where cold winters are the norm, vaccine clinics are going on despite the sub-zero temperatures.

Sign up for our daily newsletter

A weekday morning email roundup of Kalamazoo stories and events.

In an interview with WWMT, county health officer Jim Rutherford said they’re on track to give out as many doses as they get in.

“If we vaccinate three to four thousand a week, that’s great but I know I can do three times that. I just need to get the vaccine,” he said.

Presently, 75% of the supplies they get go out to people age 65 and older, while the remaining 25% are set aside for the county’s teachers.

He predicts the county will complete vaccinating teachers in about four weeks at which point they’ll shift to vaccinating agricultural workers.

You can read the full story here.

Independent journalism is essential to a healthy democracy. Make a donation today.